Home || News || Reviews || Articles || Contact || Store || Forums || Dumbass Database
News Archive
Dumbass DB

Canada Forums
Explosive Labs
Legion Hardware
MaXit Mag
Overclockers Club
Ultra X
Virtual Hideout
2 CoolPC and 2Cool PC Plus
Page 1 - Cool your whole PC using some simple ducting!
Author: Dan Podhola (WebMasterP)
Date: June 15, 2000
Category: Cooling
Options: Printable Version 12 pt Times New Roman 10 pt Times New Roman 12 pt Tahoma 10 pt Tahoma

2 CoolPC and 2Cool PC Plus

I'll have to admit, I've read reviews on this before and I was very doubting of the results shown on the reviews. When I received the two units via UPS and opened the box, my thoughts were reinforced. I didn't believe anything that looked like these could cool my PC like some people were claiming. Let me show you what I found.

Upon opening the box and picking up the 2Cool PCs out of the box, my immediate impression was, "Boy is this thing cheaply made!" After a few minutes of twisting and pulling I found that the vents would handle just fine as long as they weren't put under something heavy, like a brick. They were very pliable but sturdy, though you wouldn't think that upon first glance and touch. Just so you know, the 2Cool PC has a regular 92mm fan and the 2Cool PC Plus has a higher output 92mm fan and a larger price tag.

2Cool PC Regular
2Cool PC Regular
2Cool PC w/ Extra Beef
2Cool PC w/ Extra Beef

Installation is a no brainer. If you can't figure it out, well then you have no brain. Here are the steps:

1) Open your case
2) Clear a spot in the case
3) Put the 3 velcro stickers (both halves) on the 2Cool PC (Plus)
4) Place it close to the back of the case and near to your video card
5) Plug in the power connector
6) Close up your case
7) Turn on your case and enjoy

It doesn't get much easier than that. The only problems that could happen here are lack of space or not enough power connectors.

The Sticky Pads
The Sticky Pads
2Cool PC Installed
2Cool PC Installed

Many things have been said about these devices. One of the major claims is that it cools your whole PC. This can be explained by the exhaust vent shape. It's angled to blow horizontal and upward. Also, only have of 60% of the air is ducted upward, the other 40% is push straight to cool the lower half of the computer. [see below]

Vent Close Up
Vent Close Up
Head-On View
Head-On View

Ok, for testing I decided that I would use our Athlon 650 @ 750 MHz computer. This is in a SuperPower Zephyr KS-201XP. These usually have a 300 Watt power supply but since the (cheap) one in there burnt out we used a 250 Watt spare one until Mwave.com replaced the 300 Watt unit. Also, I decided I would leave the 2 high output 80mm Sunons in the case to show how it would perform in an existing setup.

System Specifications:
  • SuperPower Zephyr KS-201XP (250W PSU)
  • AMD Athlon 650 overclocked to 750 MHz
  • ABIT KA7
  • 128 MB Corsair SDRAM
  • Quantum Fireball (7200 RPM)
  • Diamond Viper II
  • Diamond MX400
  • D-Link 530TX
  • Pioneer 10x DVD
  • Imation SuperDisk drive and regular 1.44 MB Floppy
  • 2 Sunon high output 80mm Fans (42.5 CFMs apiece)
  • GlobalWin VOS32 on the Athlon

I took the temperature probe and put it on the Viper II (the back side of the chipset). Just as a note, the Viper II does not have any active cooling, just a heat sink. It took the readings from there and from the on-board system temperature probe.

Main Page
Results and Conclusion

Join Xtreme Tek's Mailing List

Copyright © 1999 - 2022 Xtreme Tek. All rights reserved.